LISTEN NOW! Greg shares about the pioneering life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the ten commandments/commitments that he lived by. What audacity of those who prostituted a man who stood for justice for all Americans, who, if he was here today according to his “Ten Commitments”, which were required of those who would walk with him to follow, wouldn’t even be allowed to enter the door. Dr. King stood for what was right and expected those who were going to walk with him to do the same. These commitments were so important to his pioneering work, a true Apostle, he had these commandments/commitments put on a card and everyone who would join him in this pioneering work would have to agree to live by them and sign the card showing they agreed with them.
The Commandments/Commitments were:
I hereby pledge myself—my person and body to the nonviolent movement. Therefore I will keep the following ten commandments:
1. Meditate daily on the teachings and life of Jesus.
2. Remember always that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation — not victory.
3. Walk and talk in the manner of love, for God is love.
4. Pray daily to be used by God in order that all men might be free.
5. Sacrifice personal wishes in order that all men might be free.
6. Observe with both friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. Seek to perform regular service for others and for the world.
8. Refrain from the violence of fist, tongue, or heart.
Commitment Card for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 1963